Our daughter Alli came out of the womb barking orders. And in six years, not much has changed. Last night at the dinner table she decided she wanted to play school. Before we could swallow our next bite, she launched into some very loud and determined directions. We were all instructed to come up with five (and only five) things we were thankful for and then list them off for the family to hear. She went first to demonstrate and give an example in case we weren't bright enough to understand what she wanted. Her list went something like this: "One: my house. Two: my schisters. Three: My Mom and Dad. Four: My brother. Five: Jesus-oh-and-Dusty-the-dog-but-that-would-be-six-and-that's-too-many."
- My Savior, Redeemer, Healer, Forgiver, Friend, and Giver of a Thousand Chances, Jesus Christ. I can't imagine what a mess my life would be if it weren't for You. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you.
- My Smokin' Hot Husband Who is a Stone-Cold Fox (courtesy of Will Ferrell and Talledega Nights). You are my best friend, soul mate, provider, lover, partner in crime, and laugh-generator. My life would be so dull and quiet my life without you in it.
- My Four Crazy Kiddos. Holy cow. Who knew such little people (or not so little now that Grant comes up to my shoulder) could evict such strong emotions? I never knew I could love so deeply, defend so fiercely, or frustrate so easily. I have learned boatloads from each one of you and I am so grateful God chose me to be your Mommy, for better or for worse. Thank you for your grace when I screw up, your hugs every morning, your messes to keep me busy, and your loudness and excitement for life that fills our home.
- My Extended Family. We are wacky and slightly crazy, but we are family and I love each one of you. You have all shaped my life in some way and I am grateful for the fingerprints you've left in my life.
- A Shelter From the Storm - what a blessing to have a roof over our heads, food on our table, running water and electricity, vehicles that start when we turn the key, and heat when it's cold outside.
- My Kingdom Family. There is beauty in the family of God. I am so grateful for my brothers and sisters, united through Jesus, who pour life-giving love, grace and mercy into my life. What a gift you all are.
- Okay Dusty. You make the list. You are the best dog EVER. (But don't tell anyone I said that. I have a reputation to keep you know, so now you can leave my feet by the computer and go lay down.)
- The Good 'Ol USA - I am proud to be an American and thankful for the freedom and opportunity I receive from living in this great nation.
- Health. So many people we know are fighting disease and pain. I feel so unworthy to have not just my health but the health of all my children and my husband. For those who are suffering, we are praying for healing and strength.