Sunday, January 31, 2016

Dane Needs A Bro to Go: Grant's Impromptu Haircut

Our son Grant is a freshman at Newberg High School.  When I asked him if he wanted to go to Winter Formal this weekend his response was blasé.  He didn't think his friends were going and he didn't want to spend the money.

Imagine my surprise when he texted me from a friends' house at  4:18 p.m. the evening of the dance asking if he could go.  Say what?

His reasoning?

"Dane needs a bro to go."

His buddy Dane made plans with a bunch of swimmers to go out to eat and to the dance, but no other guys ended up going.  Dane found himself the only guy in a sea of beautiful girls. Not that he was complaining, but he wanted a guy to join their group at the dance.  Grant didn't mind being the second guy in a sea of beautiful girls.

I picked Grant up around 6 p.m.  The dance started at 8 p.m.  His hair looked like this.  Not joking.

He wondered out loud, "Mom, what do we do about my hair?"


Grant's hair looks this wacky because he hasn't had it cut in two months.  He's on the swim team and has been preparing himself mentally to get his head shaved before the district meet by the upperclassmen.  This is not something he would choose, but it's "a rite of passage" the freshmen boy swimmers go through.  If you don't agree to get your head shaved as a freshman, you don't get to shave heads when you're an upperclassman.

Since his hair will be gone in a week anyway, I told him I'd attempt to cut it really quickly.  He wanted the back and sides "tight" with it long on top and insisted that we start with it in a man bun.
Before we started.
I got through Phase One okay.
Phase One
But then I couldn't figure out how to fade in the hair that was in the man bun or where to stop. So I texted my friend Amber.  She's been doing our family's hair since she graduated from Beauty School a few years ago and is super talented.  She asked for a picture and I sent her this.
"How do I fix this?"
Amber's response? 

"Meet me at the shop in fifteen minutes."

Yikes.  That bad eh?

We stopped at Goodwill on the way to shop and Grant scored some sweet, retro suspenders to wear to the dance with his Band Concert "uniform."  Outfit? Taken care of.

Amber went right to work fixing my botch job.  Grant left a few minutes later looking MUCH better and I promised to never try to cut his hair again.


We dashed home, I ironed Grant's shirt while he scarfed down some dinner, and he got dressed.  He cleans up nice. Thank you Amber for saving the day.  We'll all enjoy Grant's fresh fade for a week, until the swimmers get to hack at it.  (SIGH).   



We left for the dance with fifteen minutes to spare.  Grant met up with Dane - and all the pretty girls - in the high school parking lot, and off they went.  A good time was had by all.

I am so thankful that God has answered our prayers for good friends for Grant.  His pool of friends is rich and deep.  What a gift.

I am also thankful for a son who embraces life with gusto, courage and fun.  What a fun story to look back on years later.  I love you Son.

No comments:

Post a Comment