Monday, February 10, 2014

Sweet Sixteen


anniversary dinner at Red Star Tavern, Portland, Oregon
On December 27th, 2013, Curt and I celebrated our sixteenth wedding anniversary. Sweet sixteen.  With age comes maturity.  Our love has been the same.

Sixteen years is a long time to live with someone.  Day in and day out, Curt sees me at my best and my worst and yet he chooses to continue to love me.

Sixteen years of morning breath, messy hair, and incoherent pre-coffee mumbles.

Sixteen years of raising babies, toddlers, elementary schoolers, and now middle schoolers.

Sixteen years of getting up and going to work, paying bills, grocery shopping, and stressful finances.

Sixteen years of following Jesus together - digging into the Bible, serving side by side, and praying together.

Sixteen years of being goofy and making each other laugh.

Sixteen years of learning to say, "I'm so sorry.  What I did was wrong.  Will you please forgive me?"  (Does that ever get easier?)

Sixteen years of high highs and low lows - learning to press into each other when we'd rather run away.  

Sixteen years of choosing to love.

My wedding ring is in the shop again - another diamond lost to worn out settings.  The jeweler said, "Some things wear out more quickly than others.  This ring isn't exactly new."  I started to protest and then realized he was right.  Sixteen years is a LONG time.

We celebrated our anniversary with a mini-getaway in the city.  Nothing says romance and luxury like a five star hotel, complimentary valet parking, champagne on ice, rose petal turndown, in room dining, and late checkout.  We splurged on it all.

For twenty four hours it was just the two of us again.  No kids. No agenda (so we did run a bazillion errands but we made it fun).   Just us.  It was a perfect reminder that choosing each other - for better or for worse - sixteen years ago was one of the best decisions we've ever made.
photo courtesy of Sara Shearer Photography LLC
Happy (belated) anniversary My Love.  Here's to many, many more.

No comments:

Post a Comment