Thursday, February 28, 2013

Not a Baby Anymore

she may be seven, but Greenie (her blanket) still goes everywhere with her
Paige E. (also known as Paigey) turned seven yesterday.  SEVEN!!!!  I'm really not sure how this happened.  In my mind she's vapor locked as an angelic little three-year-old who just gave up her binkie and naps every day.

We bought her a bike for her birthday because her other one is too small for her.  I scoped out the options ahead of time and Curt picked it up.  He called me from the store confused.  "Honey, this bike you picked out is WAAAAYYYY too big.  Paige will never fit on it.  There's another one in the back that's smaller.  It has training wheels, but we could take those off."  I convinced him to bring it home and he very sheepishly admitted, "You were right.  This is the size Paige needs.  But how is it possible that she's big enough to fit this big bike?"  I'm glad it's not just me that can't wrap my brain around the fact that our baby is not a baby anymore.
Paigey over the years

Her birthday menu was chocolate chip, strawberry pancakes with whipped cream and bacon for breakfast, McDonald's delivered to the school cafeteria for lunch, and Red Robin for dinner.  Gag!  But she loved it all.

I ate lunch with Paigey and her little first grade friends.  As lunch was ending she asked in her quiet way, "Mommy, are you going to come out to recess too?"  I've never gone to recess before, but she informed me that "most parents go out to recess too," so off we went.  She and her little gaggle of girl friends made a "house" in the bark chips and pretended to be birds.  Paigey was the owner and the baby birds kept escaping the house so she'd have to chase them down and bring them back.  SO much adorableness going on there.
part of the "little birdy" group
I came back to school just before the day ended so I could participate in Paige's birthday party at school.  Her class was newly back from PE and they had rosy cheeks and smelled of sweat and goodness.  She beamed as her class sang "Happy Birthday" to her.  She chose a birthday pencil from the Birthday Can of Pencils.  Then passed out juice boxes and cookies to all her classmates.  They had to wait for Paigey to take the ceremonious First Bite before they could dig in.  When they were finished, they played Heads Up Seven Up.
Seriously this one melts me.  The outfit.  The rosy cheeks.  The proud smile. 
I got such a kick out of watching her soak it all in.  Paige doesn't normally like to be the center of attention, but she loved it yesterday.  She was confident and full of smiles, embracing the love her classmates and teacher gave her.  She was 100% an elementary school girl.  No baby left in her.  Sniff sniff...
a confidence we don't always see - she's comfortable at school
Before bed she gave me a stack of completed school papers.  Hiding in them was this gem.

It says:  "If I had $100, I would buy a car and pay for college.  Then I would buy a gum pack and save the rest.  And buy an iPod.  And buy a book for me.  Then I would buy a shirt."

Paigey may not be a baby anymore, but she's still innocent enough to think $100 will pay for college, a car, clothes, books, toys, and gum.  Is there anything sweeter?

Happy birthday Paige Elizabeth.  We love you!

1 comment:

  1. Happy Birthday, Paige! We still remember when you were born and now you're already 7. Can't believe you're too tall for your desk, even! Enjoy your new bike and we can't wait to see you again. Hugs. - Faith and Nate

    ReplyDelete