Saturday, January 5, 2013

Random Updates

I've got a bunch of randomness floating through my brain right now so I thought I would share.

1.  I'm pretty sure I've worn this sweatshirt for at least five days in a row now, with the exception of one morning wash.  I was wearing it again by the evening. Same goes with my new cozy pants.  I've barely taken them off.  And I wonder where Paige gets her crazy affinity for wearing the same thing over and over and over again even if it's shorts in the middle of winter?
my current favorite sweatshirt

2.  I've been running for five years now and have never owned a pair of running tights.  I broke my first pair in today on a long, super hilly run in cold weather with sporadic rain.  I was never cold once.  And I feel so official now.  Like I might actually qualify for being a real runner.

3.  This has been the best EVER Christmas break for our family - EVER.  (It's worth writing in CAPS twice).  We have had so much fun as family stay-cationing at home.  We've stayed up late.  Slept in (kids until 9 a.m.!!!).  Played games.  Read books.  Wrestled.  Gone to the park.  Exercised together.  Baked.  Gone out to lunch.  Watched football.  Played with friends.  Thrown mini-parties with families that we don't get to see very often.  Laughed - a lot.  Even running errands and chores have been fun.  None of us want to go back to reality, but we have to.  Tuesday morning will be a rude awakening when we all have to get up at the crack of dawn for school/work/real life.  Can someone just freeze time?

4.  I finally got around to starting the editing process of the pictures I took of the kids in November with a borrowed camera.  I now have a fresh appreciation for all my friends who are professional photographers.  Taking good pictures of people is way harder than you'd think it is.  I laughed so hard at the stuff I didn't notice until I viewed the images.  I posed almost all of the shots of the four kids together in front of a train car with funny graffiti. Really?  And the other picture of the four of them that turned out looks like Katie is grooming Paige's head.  How did I not notice that?  I definitely need more practice.  It's a good thing I have my new camera.


5.  My husband - who I think is about the Best Thing to Happen Since Sliced Bread - is painting all the hallways and the (very, very tall) entryway in our house.  Just because.  He's so great.  Curt is a very accurate and quick painter.  It amazes me.  I'm not allowed to help because I lack precision and am too sloppy.  He'd rather do it himself, than have my "help" which leaves paint splatters and "holidays" (as he calls it when you accidentally paint the ceiling or baseboard) screaming "Jodi was here."   He did however let me hold the ladder while he balanced twenty feet in the air with his paint brush duct taped to an extension pole and trimmed in the paint at the ceiling.  Even with his impossible get up, he only made two holidays.  How is that possible?  He's worn the same painting clothes every time he paints for the last eleven years.  They're covered with paint samples from the rooms in all our houses.  Isn't that fun?
That's my man.

6.  I can't believe how quickly fitness flies out the window.  Curt and I finished a two month exercise program called Insanity six weeks ago.  When we finished, we felt invincible.  I naively thought I'd maintain my cardio and strength level by running sporadically and biking at the gym.  Wrong.  I started Insanity again this week and it's just as hard the second time as it was the first.  Advil is my new best friend again.
after an Insanity workout - can you see how happy it makes me?

7.  You know that feeling when you hold your child for the first time?  You look into that sweet face and think, "I thought I knew love before this moment but I was wrong."  It's how I feel about my family right now.  It's like God has given me fresh eyes to see how incredible they are.  I almost can't handle how much I love them.  I feel like I'm about to explode with joy that God would bless me with such amazing kids and a wonderful husband.  Thank you Jesus for these incredible gifts!


8.  Hope - "a strong and confident expectation."  God keeps bringing me back to this word.  Over and over and over again.  When things have been difficult, I have felt God whisper, "Hope.  Jodi, hope in me." And then this passage in Romans 5 (verses 3-5) keeps coming back to me.  It says I should rejoice in my sufferings because suffering produces perseverance.  Perseverance, in turn, produces character.  Character produces hope.  It then says, "And hope does not disappoint us because God has poured out his love into our hearts by the Holy Spirit who he has given to us."  Viewing adversity through this lens definitely makes it easier to embrace it and even rejoice in it.

I took to writing "hope" on the inside of my wrist and joked that I was going to get it tattooed there as a constant reminder.  Turns out Curt felt the same way so we got matching tattoos on our anniversary to commemorate what God has done in our marriage for the last fifteen years. And to be a daily reminder to HOPE for what He will do in the next fifteen.  Of course we had it inked in Hebrew cause that's the Christian Hipster way. We inadvertently chose the verb form of the word over the more common noun form.  But we like it like that.  It's yet another reminder that hope requires action.

9.  Curt is finally on social media.  He won't do Facebook, but he has an Instagram account.  Now that I gave him a tutorial, he's addicted.

And that's the end of my randomness.  How is this new year starting out for you?

6 comments:

  1. You got a tattoo and I'm finding out on you blog? What!? #3 is my favorite and I've been finding myself guilty of #1 lately too. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was going to show you tomorrow... Sorry you found out on the blog.

      Delete
    2. Looking forward to seeing it in person. :)

      Delete
  2. Hi Jodi! Don't completely knock the kids in front of the old train... it is actually becoming more "trendy" to pose in front of old paint peeling garage style places. Know a photographer friend who did her whole family pics in front of an abandoned metal corrugated warehouse! I think your kiddos looked darling all together.
    Miss you guys, loved the matching hebrew tats, I'd be totally up for something like that but I doubt I could drag Brian down to a tattoo parlor. ha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Becca. I love the old train and the warehouse look. Where I need growth is noticing details.

      Delete
  3. I love your blog Jodi!! You are a great writer! -Stephanie Sticka

    ReplyDelete