Wednesday, January 30, 2013

None of Us Have Done Anything to Deserve Such a Great Gift

Misión Nuestra Señora del Pilar de Todos Santos in Todos Santos.  

One of my friends is going through a difficult time.  Big transitions.  Roller coaster emotions.  A sea of uncertainty.  I called her today to check in so I could hear her voice and make sure she really was doing okay.  

While we were talking I told her that Curt and I were planning on helping her with one of her big projects.  Our simple offer exposed a love deficit in her life and took her by surprise.  As our love began to fill that deficit, she started crying.  Through tears she said, "I don't know what I've done to deserve such a gift."  It sounded silly coming from a woman who daily pours her life out for others, but I know how she feels.  Sometimes life is just so overwhelming that the simplest act of kindness feels life-transforming.  

We dried our tears, said goodbye, and I told Curt what she had said.  His reply?  "Funny thing is none of us have done anything to deserve such a great gift."  BOOM!  His wisdom blew my mind.  

Of course the gift Curt was referring to wasn't helping my friend with a project even though the sentiment was applicable.  He was referring to the gift of Jesus. And the life-transforming hope, grace, forgiveness, love, and LIFE that Jesus freely gives to His followers.  Jesus said, "The thief's purpose is to steal and kill and destroy.  My purpose is to give them a rich and satisfying life." (John 10:10)  Who doesn't want a rich and satisfying life?  Talk about the ultimate gift.

"None of us have done anything to deserve such a great gift."  

That is what makes it love.  And I am forever grateful.

P.S.  Last night as I was contemplating the deep and vast love of Jesus and how it has changed my life, I heard for the first time a song from the band 10th Avenue North called By Your Side.  I was instantly drawn into the music, the lyrics, and the message of hope.  The YouTube video is powerful. I hope you take the time watch it.

No comments:

Post a Comment