Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Seven 2012

Solid Rock (our church) is joining with twenty-five other churches around the Portland-metro area for a week of prayer and fasting for our city.  The event is called Seven and each year it grows bigger and pulls in more churches.

This is not about denominations or one church promoting itself.  Seven is about the people of God - those who follow Jesus -  uniting with one voice through prayer to ask God to bring His kingdom crashing into our cities, our lives, and our homes.  It's exciting.

Prayer moves the hand of God.  Think about that for a minute...  Prayer moves the hand of God.  John Mark (Solid Rock's lead pastor) reminded us in his message this past weekend that when we align our prayers with God's heart and His will, He is waiting to say YES.  He wants to say yes.  How incredible is that?

But do I really believe this?  Do you?

I am challenged this week to get off the couch of apathy and pray like God is really listening.  Pray that He will break my heart with what breaks His.  Pray that He will open my eyes to His heart, His dream, and His passion for the city of Newberg - for my friends - for my neighbors - for my family - for my life.  I want to pray with the expectation that God hears.  And He loves.  And He answers. I want to pray that I will catch the vision of "your kingdom come, your will be done on EARTH - right now, right here - as it is in heaven." 

II Chronicles chapter seven tells a story that in some ways parallels what the churches of Portland are doing this week.  King Solomon spent years building a temple for God.  When it was finally finished, he held a city-wide celebration and dedication party.  The king led the Israelites - known for their inconsistency and unfaithfulness in following God - in a corporate prayer gathering.  During that gathering, the Israelites with one voice confessed their sin and renewed their commitment to follow God.  

Later that night, God appeared to Solomon and said, "I have heard your prayer....  If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and heal their land." (vs. 12a, 14)

Portland needs healing.  Newberg needs healing.  I need healing.  

God is waiting to hear our prayers.  Won't you join me and thousands of other Portlanders this week as we ask Him to change us from the inside out?






No comments:

Post a Comment