Tuesday, March 6, 2012

One Sweaty Mile at a Time

I can't find the lone picture I have of Carissa, Danielle and I.
This one is of Carissa and I before we ran 17 miles.
We unknowingly wore our matchy matcherson's T-shirts.
And yes, we're wearing mascara but we started mid-day, so don't judge.  :)
I'm nine days into the toughest two-week stretch of marathon training.  By the end of these fourteen days, Carissa (Running Buddy Number One), Danielle (Running Buddy Number Two), and I will cover 105 miles.  Running.  That figure is staggering to me.  Mind-blowing.  And yet every day we're donning our running gear, hitting the pavement, and slogging out one sweaty mile at a time.

Breaking down this huge challenge into daily doses has made it surprisingly manageable.  It feels surreal to me that I continue to cross off double digits runs from my training chart and still live to tell about it.  My muscles are fatigued.  I'm hungry all the time.  And a power nap has squeezed its way into my daily rhythm.  But I'm doing it and it feels so empowering.

Today I read a story in the book of Numbers, chapter 13.  The Israelites had traveled across the desert and were on the verge of entering the land God promised to give them.  Moses sent twelve spies on a stealth mission into enemy territory to scope it out and devise a military strategy.  In spite of a promise from God that He would give them the land, the spies came back shaking in their boots.  One by one they stood before Moses and the whole Israelite community.  They affirmed the bounty and beauty of the land.  But followed up the praise with reports of a land filled with giants and valiant warriors that would be impossible to beat. They told the Israelites, "The land we explored devours those living in it.  All the people we saw were of great size.  We seemed like grasshoppers in our own eyes, and we looked the same to them."

But two of the spies, Joshua and Caleb, viewed the challenge not through their own eyes, but through the eyes of their God.  The God who parted the Red Sea and rescued them from the Egyptians.  The God who made bread fall from the sky every morning.  The God who promised to give this abundant land to them to be their inheritance.

Caleb stood up, silenced the people before Moses and said, "We should go up and take possession of the land, for we can certainly do it."  In the face of huge obstacles and impossible odds, Caleb chose to trust the promise of a God who calls Himself Faithful.  If only the people would have listened to Caleb.  They would have been spared great heartache and many wasted years in the desert.

I don't know what impossible obstacle or huge challenge lies in your way.  But I encourage you to not allow yourself to be overwhelmed by the magnitude.  Don't view the challenge through your own eyes.  Instead trust the God who calls Himself Faithful.  He keeps His promises to His people.  He gives strength to the weary.  Peace to the anxious.  Direction to those who seek it.  Let Him show you how He views your challenge and then follow Him, one sweaty mile at a time.

1 comment:

  1. Wonderful wisdom Jodi! Perfect for me today. How faithless I often am- so filled with fear and full of my own view of the situation- "giants". How I want to be and keep being that woman who sees God first and the fears last.
    Bless you for reminding me! Diane

    ReplyDelete