Friday, February 24, 2012

A Perfect Fit!

The most incredible thing happened this week.  My engagement ring/wedding ring/10-year anniversary ring are all soldered together in one big beautiful clump that I seldom take off.  My ring is one of my most valued possessions - not because of any monetary value - but because it represents my husband's love and commitment to me.  


Curt spent an entire summer researching and shopping before he decided to forgo a pre-made wedding set.  He chose instead, to design an engagement/wedding set for me on his own.  He hand-selected the diamonds and helped draw up the design.  It was perfect and so worth the wait.  I've loved it since his shaking hands first pulled it out of his pocket and he said those beautiful words, "Will you marry me?"


A few years ago we invested quite a bit of money to have my ring repaired and shored up.  The finished product looked beautiful and should have been secure, but poor craftsmanship and a string of random mishaps resulted in two lost stones and one heart-stopping panic moment when the entire center stone broke off from the ring and fell on the floor at the gym.  We switched jewelers, but it didn't stop me from having an occasional nightmare about things going wrong with my ring.


This week as we were closing down the house to go to bed, Curt noticed something sparkling on my dirty kitchen floor.  He casually brushed aside the dirt and cracker crumbs, picked it up and joked,  "Oh look.  A (with finger quotes) a big diamond."  I was already out of the kitchen so I indifferently shouted over my shoulder, "Great.  Just put it upstairs with the girls' dress up stuff."  


A few minutes later I glanced down and my heart stopped.  A gaping hole stared at me where my center stone should have been.  Utterly panicked, I asked Curt what he did with the "dress up diamond."  Thankfully he hadn't thrown it away and knew right where it was.  We picked it up from the ledge on our utility sink and carefully set it right into the empty head.  A perfect fit!


The next morning, I was waiting for the local jeweler to open her doors. I couldn't wait to get that loose diamond and broken ring out of that Ziplock baggie and into her capable hands.  Apparently the head was defective and she couldn't believe the diamond had stayed in place as long as it had.  She got out her Diamond Verifier machine, poked the stone and then confirmed that this was indeed a real diamond and the one that was missing!  I still can't believe that we found what was lost before we even knew it was missing.  What a gift from God!


It's impossible not to draw the parallel to how God feels about us.  Jesus tells an eerily similar story of a woman who lost a silver coin.  Luke 15:8-10 says, "Or suppose a woman has ten silver coins and loses one.  Does she not light a lamp, sweep the house and search carefully until she finds it?  And when she finds it, she calls her friends and neighbors together and says, 'Rejoice with me!  I have found my lost coin.'  In the same way, I tell you there is rejoicing in the presence of the angels of God over one sinner who repents."


We are rejoicing that Curt spotted my beautiful diamond amid the dust, grime and dirt of my kitchen floor.  What a miracle!  But an even great miracle is the fact that Jesus did the same thing with me.  He  found me in the dust, grime and cracker crumbs of my life.  He saw beauty worth saving.  He carefully picked me up, saved me from certain death, wiped me off, and set my feet on the Solid Rock.  Just like my diamond fit perfectly into its uniquely crafted setting, Jesus gives my life purpose.  When I follow Him, he leads me to the setting He has uniquely crafted for me within His kingdom.  A perfect fit!  


I hope I never stop marveling at the wonder and awe of being rescued by a Love even greater than the love my husband has for me.  That's cause for rejoicing!  

1 comment: