Thursday, January 12, 2012

Psalm 10:14

My friend and former across-the-street-neighbor, Pete, lost his battle with cancer yesterday.  He left behind a wife, two sons in late elementary school/early junior high, and nephews and nieces that he played a big part in raising.  His absence leaves a huge hole.

Shortly after I found out about Pete I sat down to read my Bible.  Numb emotionally, I pushed through the assigned reading even though I was comprehending little.  When I got to Psalm 10 I started paying attention.

David was clearly in a bad mood when he wrote it.  My heart resonated with him as he complained about how tough his life was and how it always seems like the good guys lose and the bad guys win.  It's how I felt about losing Pete and Krista within two months of each other.  NOT FAIR.  It would be easy to make the assumption that God doesn't care.

But verse 14 says, "But you, O God, do see trouble and grief; you consider it to take it in hand.  The victim commits himself to you; you are the helper of the fatherless."  And with that promise, my mood lightened if only a little bit.  I can't think of a better helper for Mason and Kyle, now fatherless, than God Himself.

No comments:

Post a Comment