Thursday, December 8, 2011

Lavish Love


Thoughts from Isaiah 55

I was reading Isaiah 55 this morning and found myself highlighting large portions of the chapter.  As I went back over these rich verses a theme jumped out at me that I missed the first time through. 

God offers so much to me – none of it deserved.  But much of what He offers hinges on my action or inaction.  Read these verses (2-3, 6-7) and look for action words.

Listen, listen to me, and eat what is good, and your soul will delight in the richest of fare.  Give ear and come to me; hear me that your soul may live.  I will make an everlasting covenant with you, my faithful love promised to David.  Seek the LORD while he may be found; call on him while he is near.  Let the wicked forsake his way and the evil man his thoughts.  Let him turn to the LORD and he will have mercy on him, and to our God, for he will freely pardon.”

Listen.  Delight.  Give ear.  Come.  Hear.  Seek.  Call.  Forsake evil.  Turn to the LORD.  All of those are actions that depend on me.  And why would I put forth all that effort?

Because by doing this my soul will live.  Almighty God promises an everlasting covenant with me.  He offers His faithful love.  He extends undeserved mercy.  He pardons me from the death penalty I earned and sends His Son to be executed in my place.  Now that is lavish love.

No comments:

Post a Comment