Tuesday, December 27, 2011

I Thought I Loved Him Then

Wedding Day with all our Little People
Fourteen years ago today, I married my best friend.  I thought I loved him then.  If I had only known how our love would change.

Fourteen years of doing life together - day in and day out - has a way of exposing every weakness and highlighting every flaw.  There is no "putting your best foot forward" because your spouse sees your best foot, your worst foot, your swollen pregnancy foot, your runner's calloused foot, and everything in between.  When you realize there is no place to hide you are forced into intimacy - like it or not.

It took us a while to find our rhythm.  Putting two independent minded people together and saying, "submit to each other, love each other and respect each other" can be a recipe for disaster.  We fought.  We cried.  We got flustered.  We threw our hands up in the air and said, "I don't know how to do this!"  For us, marriage was a big learning curve.




coming out of the water of my first triathlon ALIVE!
July 2010
But God is faithful. Through thick and thin, He patiently led us, guiding our steps and teaching us how to interact in ways that honored Him and each other.  The more we practiced loving and respecting each other, the easier it got.  Things that would have sent us into a full-on fight in the early years barely raise an eyebrow now.


We sure do laugh a lot - October 2010
Through it all, we've been able to laugh.  At our circumstances.  Sometimes at each other.  Definitely with each other.  Laughter is truly medicine for the soul.  


There's something about walking through trials with someone that strengthens your bond.  The times on the mountaintop when life is easy and good are memorable and fun.  But the times we've spent in the valleys - relational conflict, sleepless nights, years of changing diapers, financial stress - are the times that draw us closer together.  When we come out the other side, our dependence on each other and our faith in God is greater, deeper and stronger.
backpacking the Mt. Jefferson wilderness
Carl Lake - July 2011
My man has seen me at my prettiest.  My most successful.  My strongest.  And he loves me still.  My man has also seen me at my most vulnerable.  My weakest.  My ugliest.  And he loves me still.
Ten year anniversary
We're fourteen years into this thing called marriage.  Our marriage has outlived our mattress.  Our four kiddos are growing up to follow Jesus.  They bring huge doses of humility to us and life, volume and joy to our family.  Our love grows deeper, thicker, stronger, and more resilient every day.


Thank you Jesus for fourteen years of marriage and the gift of a husband perfectly suited for me. I'm confident that fourteen years from now, I'll look back on this post and think, "I thought I loved him then..." 
October 2011



5 comments:

  1. happy anni guys, loved the succession of photos.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gee, I love this...you two are such an amazing couple and you truly are best friends. Nothing more beautiful then getting to spend your life (And stay the night with ) your best friend.

    And I agree, laughter is the best. Matt makes me laugh harder than anyone I have ever known-I think the baby can feel how hard its daddy makes me laugh :)

    Congralations, beautiful momma/wife/sister/friend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. you are doing a good job of inspiring me in my marriage :)Josh and I celebrated 14 years this year too. Sept 13th!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy anniversary, Jodi! Thank you for sharing a glimpse of your beautiful marriage. You and Curt inspire us and so many others. Love you,

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for sharing. I came here from hespeaksinthesilence and have been stalking your blog for the past 20 minutes. Jodi, I love that you have a husband who is so loving and Godly. I'm looking forward to when the time comes that God chooses to show me who my own godly, loving, studmuffin is. :) Happy anniversary!

    ReplyDelete