Thursday, August 25, 2011

My God is Healer

Tomorrow morning at the ridiculously early hour of 6:30 a.m., my Hood to Coast team will run through the starting gate of the "Mother of All Relays."  Our team of twelve runners and two vans will relay the 200 miles from Timberline Lodge (located at the tree line on Mt. Hood) all the way to Seaside.  Our team will run for 30+ hours down a mountain, through multiple forests, into the city of Portland, out into the suburbs, up and over the Coastal Mountain range and finish on the beach at the Pacific Ocean.  We'll run in the heat of the day, through the night and in the early morning hours.  My last leg is anticipated to start at 4:30 a.m. and it's a coastal mountain summit climb.  Maybe I'll get to see the sun rise as I climb, climb, climb.  My team (and the other 1,249 teams participating) will sweat, encourage, swap stories, sleep in spurts (if we sleep at all), get a little crazy, and share an epic adventure.  I can hardly wait.

This morning as I was mentally packing and puttering around my kitchen, I realized I had no focus for my race.  I started mulling over what God would have me focus on and my mind immediately drifted to His names.  The theme of the conference we're putting on in Haiti is "His Name in Haiti" so it's a topic that is at the forefront of my thoughts.

The name my mind settled on is "Healer."  I have so many friends who are battling disease.  Plagued by chronic pain and dismal prognosis, it's hard to remain hopeful that they could really experience healing.
But my God says, "I am Healer," and He does just that.  Sometimes miraculously.  Sometimes through the miracle of modern medicine.  Sometimes little by little, baby step by baby step.  Sometimes He says "No" and instead builds in us endurance as we persevere through suffering.  That's a hard one to swallow.

I felt God whispering, "I am Healer.  Pray for your friends who need healing."  On a total whim, I ran to the store, bought a plain tank top and some iron-on letters, and (with a little help from Sarah) made a race shirt.  It says, "My God is Healer" and I hand-wrote in the names of specific people our family has been praying for.

  • My former neighbor Pete - a father and husband bravely battling cancer.
  • My current neighbor Krista - a mother and wife also courageously battling cancer.
  • Kendall, a sweet two year old with a winsome smile, who fights for her life every day.
  • Ru and Scott - my Mom and Sarah's Dad - who have lived with chronic pain their entire adult lives.
  • Mel - my friend plagued by a vision problem that hasn't gone away.
My writing is sloppy and a little smudged because as always, I'm rushing to get things done before the 5 p.m. deadline.  But I like that it isn't perfect because it reflects who I am.  I plan to spend my running time (and I'll have almost 20 miles worth of it) praying for these dear friends.  Won't you pray with me?  After all, prayer moves the hands of God and He calls Himself - Healer.

1 comment:

  1. Klips - my eyes have tears in them. I am so proud of you for what you are doing and for allowing yourself to be so used of God, so close to Him that you hear His voice above all else, and so honored that Kendall will be with you in spirit as you run your heart out. our God is with you always. Be strong. praying for a great race day(s).

    ReplyDelete