Thursday, June 9, 2011

A Day in the Life of the Stilp Family

The next two days all hinge on a finely-tuned plan.  They do not have wiggle room for anything to go wrong.  I almost have to write it out to keep track of it myself.

FRIDAY

  • Grant has a field trip all day tomorrow at the State Capitol.
  • Alli has an all day field trip to the zoo.  Jodi (me) is chaperoning this field trip.  I have to be at school with my picnic lunch packed in a back pack by 8:20 a.m.
  • Katie has a Summer Birthdays Party at school that starts the second I get back from the field trip and lasts until the end of school.
  • Paige is shuttling to a friend's house until 2 p.m. when Sarah (our extra "kid" for the summer) will pick her up and babysit until I get home from school with the older three hooligans.
  • I will drop them off and dash to Portland Running Company to volunteer at packet pick up for the Helvetia Half Marathon that happens on Saturday.
  • While there, I need to pick up my race packet since I'm participating in this event and then head home to eat dinner, lay out my race morning attire, and go to bed early.


SATURDAY

  • Get up at 4:30 a.m. (can you say OUCH?) to leave by 5 a.m.
  • Arrive at Hillsboro Stadium, the start and finish of the race, by 6 a.m.  for more volunteering and getting nervous and mingling and trips to the porta-potty.
  • Run a half marathon.
  • Come home and crash.


Doesn't that sound exciting and fun?  Well Grant threw a kink our plans when he crashed hard on his skateboard this afternoon.  He was showing off for Sarah and her friend Brooke (who happened to be Grant's student teacher) and got going too fast, lost his balance and crashed.  He didn't want to cry in front of them so he was ridiculously tough, brushing off the gash on his hip and his sore wrist as "slightly painful."

Curt got home from work and examined Grant's very-swollen wrist.  His diagnosis?  "I'm 98% sure it's broken."  Great.  Cause I can't take him to the doctor tomorrow.  I'm at the zoo.  And Grant doesn't want to miss his field trip.  And if we did the emergency room tonight, he'd still have to go to an orthopedic doctor tomorrow to get a cast.

Our newly revised plan is:  Curt stays home from work.  He takes Grant to the dentist with him.  Grant sits in the waiting room while Curt gets his teeth cleaned.  They go to the clinic where Curt works (it conveniently happens to be in Salem just blocks from the state capital) and get x-rays and a cast if need be.  When they are done doctoring, Curt brings Grant to the capital to hook up with his class.  VIOLA!

This is eerily similar to the last time Grant broke his wrist (but that time he fell out of a tree).  It happened to be the day before I was having knee surgery so we just brought him us to the surgery center, did his doctoring before my pre-op stuff, and sent him home with a friend.  Now that you have a glimpse of a day in the life of the Stilp family don't you wish you lived here?

No comments:

Post a Comment