Wednesday, May 25, 2011

II Samuel 22

I was reading II Samuel chapter 22 this morning.  It's a song King David wrote in the twilight of his life.  He uses the song to reflect on how God has continually rescued, saved, sheltered, and protected him over the course of his life.  It touched me.

Verse 17 says, "He reached down from on high and took hold of me; he drew me out of deep waters."  This verse stopped me dead in my tracks.  You all know how terrified I am of being in water over my head.  Drowning is never far from my mind when my family is near a large body of water.  David is using a figure of speech but we all know exactly the terror he's feeling.  I could be like a fish in the water but what about those times when life is literally suffocating me?  Pain, overwhelming tasks, finances and parenting push me further and further under water.  Before I know it, I'm too deeply submerged to make it back to the surface.  In the moment when I stop struggling and surrender to what feels like death, God reaches down from on high.  He takes hold of me and draws me out of deep water.  He resuscitates my limp body and breathes life back into me.  Oh the goodness of our God!  

Verse 20 continues, "He brought me out into a spacious place; he rescued me because he delighted in me."  Am I the only one who finds this shocking?  The Almighty God swoops down from heaven, draws me out of deep water and brings me to a spacious place.  Why?  Because he delights in me.  He knows my every thought, sees all my sin and filth, and yet he delights in me?  Amazing!

Verse 36b say, "You stoop down to make me great."  I've been meditating on this verse all morning and still can't get over the irony of this imagery.  My great and mighty King stoops down.  He bends down and gets on eye level with me.  His look pierces through my clean facade and he gazes into my soul.  The good, the bad, and the ugly laid bare before the King and yet He loves me still.  He stoops down to make me great.  Unbelievable!

Today I join with David is declaring, "The LORD lives!  Praise be to my Rock!  Exalted be God, the Rock, my Savior!"

No comments:

Post a Comment