Monday, April 25, 2011

Easter 2011

Easter 2011 was ridiculously simple and laid back.  I loved every second of it.  Typically, I love hosting events and enjoy planning a menu, getting the house ready, and hanging out with family and friends.  This year was different.  Curt has only been home from Haiti for a week and he was sick the first four days he was home.  Three of our four kids are playing spring sports and the chaos of getting to all their games and practices gives us a fresh appreciation for a clear schedule.  We all needed a break.  So we took one.

Sunday morning we slept in past 8 a.m.  We probably would have slept longer but we woke to the sound of an automatic Nerf gun firing followed by loud wailing, an indication that Grant was having difficulty following the rules of Nerf gun ownership.  Once we confiscated the offending weapon we made coffee and a "big breakfast," our weekend tradition of pancakes and bacon.


While Curt and I puttered in the kitchen, the kids hunted for candy-filled plastic eggs around the house.  They didn't have to look too hard because I did the "hiding" meaning I set them out around the house in conspicuous places so the kids would find them quickly and easily.

Curt hid the Easter baskets.  He actually put some thought into the hiding places which the kids didn't like. They were asking him for clues before they even started looking.  Eventually they all found their baskets and started inhaling candy as fast as they could.  We set no limit figuring the sooner they consume it, the less time we have to be pestered about whether they can have candy for breakfast or not.

We hung out in our jammies and read our Bibles and the newspaper while we lingered over a second cup of coffee.  The weather was gray and cool, a sharp contrast to the first nice day of 70 and sunny we had on Saturday.  But I liked the rainy gray.  It kept us inside as a family.  Together.

On Good Friday, we read the story of Jesus' arrest, false trial, and crucifixion.  We ended on a somber note leaving the amazing story of Jesus' resurrection to be read on Easter morning.  The kids huddled around the ottoman while Curt read from the Gospel of Luke the story of Jesus' resurrection and appearances to his followers.  I love the angel's question - "Why do you look for the living among the dead?  He is not here.  He is risen!"  That never fails to give me goosebumps.

Somewhere around noon I convinced Curt to abandon his run in the rain and do yoga with me instead.  We scoured onDemand Exercise TV and found a Jillian Michael's yoga workout.  It was really fun to teach Curt how to do yoga and he was a good sport about trying to learn.

Curt cooked steaks on the grill (his specialty) and I made baked potatoes, salad and french silk pie for our late lunch feast.  It was delicious.  I don't think any of us moved out of our jammies until late afternoon.  It was glorious.

We let the kids choose their own Easter outfits.  It was an act of love let them walk into church, free creative license on display to the world.  Alli wore a frilly dress with Converse tennis shoes and a white denim jacket.  Katie repurposed a yellow dress I wore when I was three years old as a top, added a cardigan sweater and some long shorts and finished her look with winter boots.  Grant topped his otherwise normal outfit with a plaid fedora.  Paige wore her usual cardigan/dress/leggings combo but  added her winter boots in lieu of fancy shoes at the last second to personalize her look.  I can't remember what I wore to church.  I was so relaxed that I forgot to get dressed and at the last minute threw on some clothes and did my makeup in the car.

We celebrated Jesus' victory over death with our family at church on Sunday evening, a great way to cap off a wonderfully relaxing day.  I hope your day was lovely too.  He is risen!

No comments:

Post a Comment