Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Back At It


I swam today for the first time since early September. I am happy to report that while I was dreading it on the drive to the pool and pep talking myself all the way to the water, it wasn't as bad as I envisioned. I had no panic attacks and I actually remembered all the things I learned last year. It was a bit like riding a bike - it came back much faster than I anticipated and I managed to swim 25 laps. And with that swim, I have officially kicked off the triathlon training for 2011. Here are my goals for this year, in no specific order.

1. Complete two Olympic-distance triathlons, one in June and one in August.
2. Stay alive and don't drown during the swim.
3. If I make goal number two, don't be the last person out of the lake. (Please, oh please God, have one more person be a slower swimmer than me.)
4. Get familiar enough with my bike that:
a. if the chain falls off during the race, I can put it back on myself and I won't have to sit on the side of the road crying.
b. if I get a flat tire during the race, I can change it by myself using all the handy dandy gadgets Curt has strapped to my bike and I won't have to sit on the side of the road crying.
c. get familiar enough with the clip-in pedals that I won't be the girl in the transition area who forgot to unclip and is in a tangled pile on the side of the road crying while all the spectators are inwardly laughing their heads off.
d. remember that if all else fails, I can call Curt and he will turn around and come back and help me. What a good husband!
5. Pick some people off on the run since it's the only portion of the triathlon where I actually feel like I know what I'm doing.
6. Remember to not ask "Where are they handing out medals?" at the Blue Lake tri since they only give medals to people who actually finish in the top three and that will NOT be me. I can guarantee that.
7. Have fun.

It's official. I'm back at it!

No comments:

Post a Comment