Monday, November 22, 2010

The Silent Order

My friend Melanie Dobson is a writer. Not just an "oh I like to write" writer, but a real-life author who always is on deadline for another novel. I was glad I met her first and found out what she did later because I would have found her completely intimidating otherwise. She is magical with words, loves research (which I find to be incredible in and of itself because I'd rather bang my head against the wall than do research), and is so humble about her God-given talent.

I have the privilege of praying for her as she writes each book so when they finally arrive in print, I can't wait to get my hands on them. Her most recent accomplishment, "The Silent Order," was the most anticipated for me because I got to help her choose the title. I know. Such a small claim to fame. Anyway, I devoured this book and loved it. Here's the review I posted and I would definitely encourage you all to go read it.

I’ll be honest, when I think of a great read I don’t think “Inspirational Fiction,” but I have never been disappointed by any of Melanie Dobson’s work. I am not at all interested in studying history or reading another mindless love story but Dobson has a way of working magic with her words. She cleverly disguises her history lessons in suspenseful plots with believable characters and while she’s at it, she sneaks in questions we all ask but are too afraid to voice out loud.

In The Silent Order she tackles finding God in times of pain and suffering and brilliantly compares and contrasts two sisters who chose opposite paths to deal with their pain. My mother’s heart resonated with the heroine, Katie Lehman, and her desire to protect her son at all costs in spite of living in a society that promoted peace at all costs. My heart ached with Rollin Wells, the hero, as he wrestled with guilt, shame and grief. Could God really forgive his deepest, darkest secrets and sin?

Dobson drew me into this suspenseful story within the first handful of pages and I literally read the book cover to cover in a matter of hours. I found myself continually flipping back to the first couple of chapters, amazed at how Dobson connected the dots of her plot in unexpected ways. Without trying, I learned about the Amish culture, the Mafia of the 1920’s, and God’s redemptive power to heal, forgive, and make all things new. This is one story I did not want to end.

No comments:

Post a Comment