Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Obedience

I've had the blessing of having some quiet time in the car without kids over the past week on a couple different occasions and have used that time to pray. In that prayer time, God kept bringing me back to a theme of obedience. As I evaluate my life, I've been asking myself the question, "Am I obeying God in the same way that I expect from my kids?"

When I was growing up, my parents defined obedience as "doing what you're told, when you're told, with a happy heart," and they made it clear that if we didn't obey on all three levels then it didn't count for true obedience.

In my assigned Bible reading, I stumbled upon Proverbs 19:16a - "He who obeys instruction guards his life..." I had written in the margin of my Bible, "Obedience brings protection." When we obey, we guard our life by stepping into the shelter of God's blessing and protection. I like to think of God holding an umbrella in a downpour. He invites us to come under and enjoy shelter from the storms of life, but His invitation isn't all inclusive. While He loves the disobedient, He offers protection and blessing to those who choose to obey.

As I mulled this over I read I John 5:3 - "This is love for God; to obey His commands. And His commands are not burdensome...." When I obey, I show God how much I love Him. And I love Him a lot, but do my actions show that? Am I honoring Him as His daughter in my day-to-day obedience? My heart resonated with the additional point that God's commands are not burdensome. He has a reason WHY He asks us to conform to His will and the reasons why are not to burden us, but to bless us.

I didn't have to think hard to find an area of disobedience in my life. I know God has been asking me to intentionally interact with my kids more instead of co-exist with them. Lately every time I choose to do my thing instead of obey, the Holy Spirit has been all over me bringing conviction, asking for repentance and leaving me with that awkward shame of knowing I made the wrong choice. I find myself repenting and acknowledging that I screwed up, but putting action to my repentance is harder. Obedience requires me to set aside my agenda and enter my kids' world whatever that looks like at the time. When I've chosen to obey, the rewards have been immediate. I've been blessed by hanging, giggling, crafting and talking with my kids. When I disobey, whatever it was that luring me with it's immediacy feels really insignificant and really unsatisfying.

So what about you? What is God asking you to do? Are you obeying or are you being a disobedient little kid?

No comments:

Post a Comment