Sunday, April 11, 2010

No Vile Thing...


This afternoon when I was reading my Bible, I came across a verse that immediately took me back to high school and our house in Scio. My parents splurged and got some new furniture and a new TV, one with a bigger screen and where the color didn't fizz in and out. It fit nicely into the built-in bookshelf and nook in our family room.

One morning we woke up and on the shelf directly above the new TV was a photo frame with a piece of paper in it. Written on the paper in my mom's handwriting was, "Psalm 101:3 I will set before my eyes no vile thing." We teased her mercilessly for being so rigid, but she stuck to her guns and that verse stayed above the TV for quite a while. Long enough to make sneaking movies or TV that we knew our parents wouldn't approve of just slightly uncomfortable. Long enough for me to see that verse scroll across my mind, twenty years later, every time I'm tempted to watch something that is inappropriate. Long enough to leave a mark (now I'm thinking Tommy Boy...). Thanks Mom!

No comments:

Post a Comment