Thursday, March 4, 2010

Richest of Foods


Yesterday, for no apparent reason except that I'm a woman and we're notorious for being emotionally unpredictable, I was very weepy. Everything, good and bad, evoked huge crocodile tears that dripped on my kitchen floor and made me feel very uncomfortable in my own skin. Thankfully, I spun off the Emotional Roller Coaster and woke up on Planet Normal this morning.

I can't help but brag on God a little though because after being in a spiritual drought, He brought refreshment to my soul yesterday. In my blog post I used the analogy of "rich" passages satisfying my spiritual hunger. Today, as I dripped sweat on the bike and squinted to read the tiny print in my carry-along Bible, I was blown away by God's goodness to confirm this to me by using the exact same verbage and analogy in the assigned reading for today.

Listen to David's beautiful poetry in Psalm 63. For being a dude, he is definitely in touch with his emotions. "O God, you are my God, earnestly I seek you; my soul thirsts for you, my body longs for you, in a dry and weary land where there is no water.... Because your love is better than life, my lips will glorify you. I will praise you as long as I live, and in your name I will lift up my hands. My soul will be satisfied as with the richest of foods; with singing lips my mouth will praise you... Because you are my help, I sing in the shadow of your wings. My soul clings to you; your right hand upholds me." Isn't that cool?

I have no tie-in for these verses except that I found them to be beautifully written and they were rich spiritual food for me today. Proverbs 4:18, "The path of the righteous is like the first gleam of dawn, shining ever brighter till the full light of day," and Proverbs 4:23 says, "Above all else, guard the heart, for it is the wellspring of life." How is God feeding you today with the "richest of foods?"

No comments:

Post a Comment