Sunday, March 21, 2010

Avoiding Polygamy


So I'm talking to Paige, who just turned four years old, in the car on the way home from church. I ask her, "Did you see Jett tonight?"
Paige: "Who's Jett?
Me: "A little boy who is in your class. He's your age and looks just like you. Blonde hair. Blue eyes. Really cute. He could be your brother."
After a long pause, she says, "Oh yeah. Him. Jett. I want to marry him."
Me: "Well that was sudden. What about Jude?"
Paige: "Oh yeah. I forgot about him. I want to marry him too."
Me: "Well you can't marry two people."
Paige: "Why not?"
Me: "Cause you just can't. Aren't you glad you don't have to make up your mind right now. How about instead of marrying them both, you're just friends with them both. When you get older you can decide who you want to marry."
Paige: "Oh." Long pause. "Okay."

Whew! And that's how our youngest avoided polygamy at the tender age of four.

1 comment:

  1. Cute! I love kid conversations... and capturing them via blog is the best! Won't she love seeing these stories about her when she's older?

    ReplyDelete