Monday, January 4, 2010

Taking the Challenge



We attend an awesome church called Solid Rock (www.ajesuschurch.org). The pastors challenged our church body to read through the entire Bible this year and provided a sheet listing what to read on each day. The reading is broken down into a few chapters from the Old Testament, a chapter from the New Testament, a Psalm and a Proverb each day, so we'll have the opportunity to read Proverbs 12 times and Psalms at least twice. My preference for quiet time is to pick a book of the Bible and read through it slowly, digesting each verse and journaling about what God is teaching me. I take my time, lingering on parts for as long as I feel I need to and plodding along at a very slow pace. It's been several years since I read the entire Bible in a year, so I decided to step outside the familiar and take the challenge. And I'm putting my decision out here for the world to know so that I won't get lazy and back out!

Over the past year, Curt and I have been trying (with limited success) to teach Grant and Katie how to implement daily time with God into their routine, but it's been really hit or miss in our consistency. To be completely honest, most of the time when I remember to remind them to read their Bible is when I'm simultaneously sending them to their room for bad behavior... "and while you're serving time, why don't you get out your Bible and see what God has to say about that behavior." Nice motivation, eh?

Yesterday, I told Grant (8 years old) that I was reading through the Bible this year and on a whim asked him if he wanted to join me. To my surprise, he said yes with no hesitation and asked for his first assignment which was a whopping 15 chapters to get caught up. He didn't even bat an eyelash. Just took the list, grabbed his Bible and locked himself in his room for an hour or so. One time he emerged, eyes lit up, face full of excitement and said to me, "Mom! Remember that verse we were learning yesterday about not giving in when people want us to do something that's wrong? Well I just found it in my Bible!" We high fived, he went back to his reading, and with eyes that were a bit moist, I praised God for revealing Himself to our kids in spite of my oh-so-many failures as a mom.

We decided that WHEN (not if) we make it to the end of the Bible in December, Grant can choose any restaurant he wants and we'll go out for a celebratory dinner. It sounded like so much fun that Curt switched up his quiet time plan for the year and is going to join us on our journey too. Katie (7 years) was intrigued, but decided to work through her devotional book from Aunt Kathy first and try "the whole Bible next year when I'm a better reader." Alli (5 years) said she wanted to participate by us reading out loud to her, but we ditched that within the first 30 seconds of her getting bored in Genesis 1. Anyone else want to take the challenge?

2 comments:

  1. You are brave!! I am only doing the Old Testament this year and I thought that was a task..(if I can make it through Isaiah :-)!! Have you thought about monthly rewards if you are on task? It will brake the goal into smaller parts especially for an 8 year old! Keep us posted!

    ReplyDelete