Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Great Way to Wake Up

I'm not a morning person. And I love sleep. No matter how many hours of sleep I get, when I wake up, I stretch, roll around and inwardly grumble about crawling out from cocoon of warm blankets and entering the big bad world of morning time.

On Wednesday mornings, Newberg school district has "late start" and all the schools start one hour later than normal to allow the teachers an hour of training/continuing ed per week. I have grown to LOVE late start. It's a nice oasis in the busyness of a school week to sleep in on Wednesday's. The kids love it too. They either sleep in or wake up at the same time and indulge in a full hour of PBS cartoons before starting their morning routine.

This morning I emerged from my cocoon and stumbled out to hug and kiss each of the kids. Each of the girls was curled up in a ball on a piece of furniture, wrapped in blankets and vegging to Syd the Science Kid. Grant, who normally NEVER sleeps in, was missing. I went upstairs to check on him and saw light sneaking out of the crack under his door, so I knocked. When I got permission to come it, I saw my son in his stained tank top that he wears as a night shirt and his hole-y jammie pants, laying on the floor of his room reading his Bible. He glanced up and said, "I missed yesterday Mom so I have a lot to catch up on," and he went back to his reading.

I don't want this to turn into a legalistic, rule-following ritual for Grant, but I also know that it takes 21 days to form a habit and only 7 to break one. God honors obedience and I know He will bless Grant for sticking to his commitment to read the Word. It warmed my heart so much to see my son, on his own, spending time with God and as I stumbled downstairs to pour my cup of coffee, I had a huge smile on my face. What a great way to wake up!

No comments:

Post a Comment