Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Daily Discoveries

I'm finding out the benefits of, as one of our house church guys said last night, "Going cover to cover in the Word." These Old Testaments stories are so full of good guys, bad guys, murderous plots, adulterous affairs, lies, great sin, reconciliation, covenants with God, blessing, patience, mercy and love from God and supernatural power. Each one would probably make an R-rated movie, but I love that when God wrote the Bible, He didn't leave out the unpleasant parts of man. He wrote it just as we are -flawed and evil and in need of a Savior and didn't gloss over all the junk. I love that these stories highlight God's mercy, grace and willingness to forgive, but also His justice and hatred of evil.

I'm reading old favorites, like the story of Isaac and Rebekah (Genesis 24). Talk about a love story to make a movie from... The way God supernaturally brought them together through Abraham's obedient servant is mind blowing and my heart always starts beating quickly when she sees Isaac for the first time in the distance. Ooh la la!

I'm reading stories that I have NO recollection of ever reading before, even though theoretically I've read them multiple times over the course of my life. For instance, why did it never dawn on me that Abraham would remarry after Sarah died? But he did and I bet you can't tell me his second wife's name! (I can barely remember it and I read about her just a few hours ago. If you need to cheat, go to Genesis 25). Or the fact that she bore him MULTIPLE children, none of which he included in his will. He left everything to Isaac and sent the rest of his sons away with "gifts" and an order to move east. Wouldn't you feel gipped if you were Abraham's second wife or slew of children from his second family?

One thing that leapt off the pages today was the fact that we pass a legacy to our children. Good or bad, like it or not, our kids model what we teach them and the behavior we don't want them to imitate too. They watch how we live out our lives and often even as adults, make choices that reflect the way they were raised. TWICE in Abraham's life, because he feared for his life, he lied to kings and told them that Sarah was his sister and not his wife. Instead of trusting God to protect them, he let fear get the best of him and chose to rely on his own plan for protection. Is it any wonder that his son, Isaac, did the EXACT same thing? Moved to a foreign land and told the king Rebekah was his sister not his wife! I almost fell off the bike when I read this and was convicted to the core to examine the legacy I am leaving to my kids. Am I modeling honesty in every decision, big or small? Am I daily trusting God to protect me and my family or am I taking matters into my own hands and relying on my human plan? Do my instructions match the way I live my life?

I haven't even touched on all the amazing nuggets I'm unearthing each day in Proverbs (13:3 - "He who guards his lips guards his life, but he who speaks rashly will come to ruin.") or how David's raw honesty ministers to me each day in Psalms (13:5 - But I will trust in your unfailing love; my heart rejoices in your salvation."). And then there's Jesus, blowing my mind each day in Matthew, with his teaching that's never watered down and often hard to wrap my mind around. Each day I'm making new discoveries and I find myself looking forward to my daily treasure hunt. What discoveries can you make today?

No comments:

Post a Comment