Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Twelve years ago...



I intended to write this on our anniversary, but the best laid plans sometimes get obliterated... Better late than never, right?

December 27, 2009

Dear Curt,

Twelve years ago, I woke up for the last time as a single woman in the old, somewhat rundown, duplex we'd rented as our first home. I decided to impress my bridesmaids with my culinary skills and made caramel rolls for breakfast. Only problem is the caramel spilled over the top of the pan and burned all over the bottom of the oven, something we discovered when we returned from our honeymoon and tried to heat up reception leftovers for dinner. So much for being impressive.

Twelve years ago, I got up early, a minor miracle in and of itself, and was at the hair salon by 8:30 a.m. to get beautified and make-upped. As I got dressed, I donned what I thought was super hot lingerie. If only I knew then what I do know now... but on second thought, I'm glad I was blissfully naive. And what was I thinking when I chose ballet slippers and then white tennis shoes over sexy white heels? Must have been comfort.

Twelve years ago, I wept when I opened the door to a tiny chapel and saw you, alone and waiting for me, your bride. We dried each other's tears and did the happy dance once we'd curbed our emotions. We oohed and ahhed over each other and wondered how fast our day would go. Little did we know...

Twelve years ago, we got beautiful portraits taken in the St. Paul Conservatory, our attempt at "outdoor" photos in the middle of winter in Minnesota. We greeted our parents, our brothers, our sister-in-laws, our nieces, nephews, aunts, uncles, grandparents and our friends as they all converged on St. Mark's Lutheran Church at 4:00 p.m.

Twelve years ago, I choked back happy tears as I walked, on my Dad's strong arm, down the aisle, to join you, my groom. Before our family and friends we vowed to love, respect, cherish and honor each other until death parts us. We prayed together, spilled red wax from the unity candle all over our hands and my dress, sang, rejoiced and finally made it to the ever elusive wedding kiss!

Twelve years ago, we thought it made sense to save a dollar per person for the dinner costs by forgoing china and choosing plastic plates. And we laugh about it still because there was not one thing on our oh-so-NOT-fancy tables that our guests could clink together to make us kiss. It was all plastic, even the silverware! And for the Baptist pastor who didn't dance, I chose the longest imaginable song for the Father/Daughter dance. So sorry to torture you for that long Dad but at least we had good conversation. Lessons that seem so clear in hindsight...


Twelve years ago, we thought we knew what love was because we were deeply, passionately and madly immersed in it. Little did we know we had only scraped the tip of the iceberg. There was no way we could anticipate how our love would mature, deepen and grow. I can only imagine how we'll feel in twelve more years.

Twelve years ago, I married my best friend. My lover. My soul mate. Happy anniversary with all my love.

No comments:

Post a Comment