Thursday, December 31, 2009

To Do in 2010

I'm not a huge resolution maker nor do I understand all the hoopla over starting a new year. Thankfully Curt feels the same way I do about New Year's Eve so we'll be a bunch of duds together tonight, trying to stay awake, and watching that awful countdown with Dick Clark (a tradition Curt won't swerve from). I do like to take the chance to reflect on the past year and ask God what changes He'd like to make in my life, family and friendships in the upcoming year. So in no specific order, here are some things I'm hoping to cross off my To Do list in 2010.
  1. Barring injury, run the Eugene marathon in May. Depending on how awful/fun that race is, I may or may not want to torture myself through the Portland marathon in October.
  2. Complete an Olympic-distance triathlon which means I have to actually get in a lake and try not to drown while hundreds of other athletes kick up a huge wake around me. (Gives me a pit in my gut just thinking about it). I'm thinking August 1st Blue Lake Tri will be my magic day.
  3. Kids. Wow. If there's a place God is asking me to focus, it's on my kids and my parenting. I'd like to interact with instead of co-exist with my kids. Since there are so many of them, they play together and I have to be intentional about spending time with them. I'll try to bring them into what I'm doing (cooking, cleaning, quiet time) and try to enter their worlds more often. I want to date them individually more consistently. I want to play more and work less. I need to be more respectful in the way I talk to and about my kids. Less nagging, anger and raising my voice. More praise, gentleness and soft tones. Sounds impossible, but thank God that with Him, all things are possible.
  4. Curt. What a gift he is to me. This year, I'd like to focus on blessing him. I want to be more intentional in thanking him for the things he does, for the man he is and tell him specifically how much I respect him and am blessed by him. I want to remember to ask him how he's doing, what he's studying in the Word, and how I can pray for him. I want to do things for him that speak his love language which means I'll be making the coffee and his lunches, taking the garbage cans to the curb and picking up a lot more dog poop than I did in 2o09.
  5. Reinstate date night, at least once a week, which means we'll be doing more "at home date nights" than we did this year. At home dates mean putting the kids to bed early or on time and ignoring them when they repeatedly come out of their rooms. It means talking (which eliminates TV or movies) about topics other than finances, the kids, work, or the daily grind. It doesn't qualify for date night if it doesn't involve (GASP) sex. I'm going to get on my soap box here and preach a bit (to myself as well): GIRLS - if you're blessed with a husband, whether you currently like him or not, he is a gift to you. And he needs sexual intimacy. YOU need sexual intimacy. And our needs grow and change so we need to TALK about what those needs are and how we can meet them for each other. This is such a small thing in light of the craziness of our lives raising kids, but I can't understate it's importance. I only wish someone had mentored me in this area earlier in my marriage. So go seduce your husband and watch him fall madly, deeply, head over heels in love with you! Okay, I'm stepping down now...
  6. I want to be more intentional about telling my friends and family specifically how and why I love them and how they bless my life.
  7. To work or not to work? I'm sure I'll have to give this question a bit more consideration and prayer this year as Paige starts pre-school in the fall. Can't believe we're so close to entering a phase that I was sure would NEVER come when we had four babies four years and younger at home.
  8. I read I Peter today in my quiet time and stumbled upon a loaded passage: I Peter 3:3-4: "Your beauty should not come from outward adornment... Instead, it should be that of your inner self, the unfading beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is of great worth in God's sight." My goal is to work on the "gentle and quiet" spirit part. I'm much too excitable and loud and a little bit crazy. I want to be more gentle and quiet. And I want my beauty to come from the work God is doing in my life, radiating from the inside out.
  9. Remember number 3 about spending more time with my kids? Well, it's NY Eve and we're together as a family and I need to get off the computer and interact. Happy New Year!

No comments:

Post a Comment