Sunday, December 6, 2009

Didn't Think It Was Possible





Given my post on Friday at 1 p.m., I never would have thought it was possible to go to bed on Sunday night with the entire interior and exterior of our house thoroughly decorated for Christmas, but God was so good at answering that prayer!

Friday afternoon, the kids and I regrouped and we tackled the 3 foot kid tree on the landing and the 7 foot Mommy/Kid tree in the family room. All I did was unwrap ornaments and hand them to the kids who waited patiently to take their turn and managed to only break on ornament. I consider that a successful tree-decorating event.

Friday night I enjoyed a belated birthday evening with my good friend, Kelly. We hit the little shops in downtown Newberg, looked at the artwork on display and sampled the free goodies most shop owners had out. We stopped at The Sweetest Thing, a new cupcake-only bakery that just opened. It's located in an old Craftsman style home with beautiful decor and the cupcakes are to-die-for! If you haven't been yet, you MUST go! We finished our night with appetizers and a wine flight (a small sampling of four kinds of wine) at The Allison, a five-star, brand new hotel and spa in Newberg. We nestled into our overstuffed chairs, chatted, and listened to live jazz music and huge logs crackling on the expansive stone fireplace. It was so relaxing after such a tough day. While we partied, Curt babysat all six kids AND decorated his tree. The finished product is a masterpiece!

Saturday was a Stilpstaber day. Bucky and Curt took our boys fishing on the Willamette River and Britta, Lucy and Baby Griffin came to our house for a girls day (sorry Griff). Britta shared her creativity with me and helped me finish hanging artwork in the girls rooms. It was such a relief to be done with such a huge project and I let her cross "room swap" off my ridiculously long To Do list. We made cut out Christmas cookies with the girls, a chore I normally despise, but as the kids are getting older, I'm becoming less grinchy about it and learning to embrace the fun to be had. I must have swept an entire bottle of sprinkles up off the floor when all was said and done. What a great way to spend a Saturday!

By the time the boys got home, we had about two hours of daylight remaining. Curt got out his 25-foot extension ladder and he (all I did was hold the ladder) put up all the lights on the exterior of our home. They pale in comparison to the rest of our over-the-top neighborhood, but we were pleased with the finished product. A cold front moved in on Saturday making it feel more like winter and less like fall and we celebrated with hot chocolate adorned with whip cream and sprinkles. After dinner, we tackled the 90 feet of lighted garland that I scored on clearance at Target last year for 90% off! Curt used his extra fancy ribbon to wrap the pillars of our landings and stairwells and by 10 p.m. last night, our home was thoroughly Christmastized.

Today we worshipped at our wonderful church which is always such a blessing. I came home and went for a 3.75 mile run. It was a very blustery day (at times the wind was blowing me sideways) and it was cold by Oregon standards, but it felt like winter and I loved every minute of it. In spite of the wind and a few random hills, I finished my run at a little over an 8 minute mile pace and I loved being out in the cold, sweating in the winter sun.

Later this afternoon, Grant and I ran some errands and had some Mommy/Son time which is rare these days given how time-consuming school can be. I think we both really enjoyed ourselves and bonded in the Shawn White section of the boys department at Target. When we got home, I wrapped presents until my neck and shoulders ached from hunching over. I'm almost ready to start boxing stuff up to ship all over the country and I will be so happy to reclaim our bedroom.

I didn't think it was possible to accomplish so much is such a short time period, especially given the way Friday started out, and I'm so grateful that God cares about the little stuff, like me crossing things off my list, as well as the big things! Hope you had a great weekend too.

No comments:

Post a Comment