Tuesday, November 17, 2009

26 or 28 or 31 or Something Consecutive Laps


Tonight Curt and I went on another swim/coffee shop date night. We swam for 30ish minutes and I counted out 26 consecutive grueling laps. Curt counted 31 and lapped me once, so we'll say I swam 28 laps consecutively. BRUTAL! Around lap 11, I started to get all mental in the water and felt that panic come over me. What if I breathe in the water? How can I catch my breath in such a short second? What if water goes up my nose? With every "what if" question, I felt my heart rate accelerate and my mind start going berserk. I kept quoting the Jodi Stilp version of II Timothy 1:7, "God did not give me a spirit of fear. But of power, love and a sound mind." And then for good measure, a little bit of Dory from Finding Nemo, "Just keep swimming, just keep swimming...." It lasted for FIVE excruciating laps until I finally settled into a better frame of mind. After we swam, we hit our new favorite coffee shop for delectable sandwiches, salad, soup and my new fetish, Italian cappuccinos with a feather drawn in the foam. I literally licked the foam out of the cup. It was that good. (Can't take me anywhere.)

Funny kid stuff from today: Paige (3 1/2 years) overheard me talking to my friend Britta on the phone and gathered from my end of the conversation that Griffin wasn't feeling good. She immediately suggested that we pray for him, so I asked her to do it. She prayed, "Dear Jesus. Fank you dat Griffin will feel better soon." Then paused as if thinking really hard and added, "Griffin Buttstaber (Buchstaber). Amen," as if God needed to know Griffin's last name to know who she was praying for.

Alli (who is 5) has been known to mix her words up and invent some funny words. When she was three, she told me she was "angertated." Don't you just know what she means? She, along with probably 500 other kids, calls hand sanitizer "hanitizer." She saw Bed, Bath and Beyond the other day and hollered, "Hey look Mom. There's Bath Towel and Beyond." And today's funny comment came in the car. She sneezed and then was stuffy afterward. As she was sniffing funny, she looked at me and said, "Mom, I was aaachooing a lot at school today." I contained my laughter and asked, "Oh, you were sneezing a lot?" She said, "No, I was aaachooing a lot." I repeated my question a second time and she repeated her answer a third time. I explained that when you say, "Aaachoo" it's called sneezing. She looked really confused and then said, "Well what's this called?" and sniffed really hard. To which I replied, "Oh, that's being stuffy." She got a contented smile and sat back in her chair. They make me laugh every day!

No comments:

Post a Comment