Monday, October 19, 2009

Home Sweet Glorious Home






This past Thursday I kissed my sweet family goodbye and boarded a plane for Denver, Colorado. After weeks of recovering from knee surgery and then our entire family getting the flu I was tired, a little crabby and ready for a break from real life.

My roommate from college and maid of honor at my wedding, Heather, drove an hour each way with her five kids (ages 8 to 15 months) to pick me up and take me to dinner. I hadn't met her baby yet and don't think I've seen her husband since they got married almost 10 years ago! Mike joined us at Gunther Tooty's (it's gotta be fun with a name like that), a 50's style cafe, and we crammed as much catch-up into two hours as we could. Their children behaved perfectly and it was a wonderful way to start off a long-weekend.

We parted from Mike and the kids and Heather drove me the remainder of the distance to Sonja and Venu's house where I spent the rest of my time in Colorado. They live at 8,000 feet above sea level and their home is nestled into the summit of a Rocky Mountain foothill with panoramic, breath-taking mountain views. Sonja is technically my husband's cousin, but from the first time we met we had an unexplainable connection. She is the sister I always wanted and the exact one I would have chosen.

If it was relaxing, luxurious or girly, we did it. Sonja worked on Friday, so I spent the day with Venu and their adorable twin boys, Clark and Everest. We walked to the playground and my head was on a swivel as I drank in the beauty of the mountains, the blue skies and sunshine, and the deer and elk that roam freely through their neighborhood. I spent the better part of Friday afternoon snuggled under a blanket in a red leather chair alternately dozing off, reading and watching the sun move across the mountains. Friday evening we went to a movie at the movie theater complete with movie popcorn and lemonade and then prolonged our evening by stopping for some yummy comfort food afterward.

Saturday, Venu manned the home front and Sony and I relished in girl time. We went for a walk, got a massage, shopped, went for coffee, and got mani/pedi's. We came home to relax a bit more then went out to a lovely dinner with one of Sony's close friends. We took so long over our meal that we closed the place down. Sunday was a lounging day filled with yummy food, great conversation, and more reading and napping in the leather chair. It was a delightful and decadent way to spend the weekend.

When I boarded the plane to fly home, I was rested, refreshed, relaxed and rejuvenated. I almost finished a novel on the plane and after gathering my luggage, went outside to look for our van. My heart skipped a beat as I saw it approaching and when the door opened and my precious children started piling out, screaming "Mommy!" and running with outstretched arms and huge smiles, I think I stopped breathing. My eyes welled with tears and I could barely swallow around the lump in my throat. I couldn't embrace them quickly enough and I thought my heart would explode with love. Then my handsome husband emerged and I was certain I would melt right on the sidewalk. My Sweet Love, who willingly let me escape for a weekend and so capably held down the fort at home. How could one woman be so blessed?

The ride home was filled with constant chatter and exclamations of all the ways they had helped while I was gone. Alli and Katie folded laundry and put all the piles away. Grant made dinner for the family "all by himself" (with a little guidance from Curt) and Paige helped put away clean clothes. Under Curt's tutelage, they vacuumed the entire house, swept and mopped all the hard wood floors and picked up every last toy because they know how much I like to come home to a clean house.

I woke this morning and the wonder and joy of my role as mother and wife was so fresh in my spirit. You know the euphoria you feel when you hold your child for the first time? It was that awe and wonder only magnified exponentially because now when I look in their four precious faces we have years of memories and love between us. Thank you God for refreshing my spirit and bringing me safely home sweet glorious home.

1 comment:

  1. Beautiful post. I'm so glad you got to get away and have some precious restorative girl time! It sounds lovely!

    ReplyDelete