Thursday, August 27, 2009

Little By Little

Thanks for all your prayers. The short update is that this surgery has been thoroughly kicking my butt, way more than I expected it would. I think I have hit every symptom associated with "normal recovery" and maybe a few outside the range of normal. Since the surgery was more extensive than the surgeon anticipated, my recovery is going to be longer and slower than he originally thought. So I've adjusted my mindset to deal with the pain, take advantage of the times when I'm feeling better get a few things done and feel purposeful even if it's momentary, accept help when it's offered, and take it a day at a time. If you can believe it, I haven't been out of the house in EIGHT days which for someone who is often gone multiple times during the day has potential to make me crazy. I've started icing my knee in different rooms of the house to feel like I'm getting a change of scenery.

Curt and the kids have been amazing. The kids have been getting along really well: sharing, playing games, helping to clean up with asked, and been very tender and concerned for me. Our friends and family have gone above and beyond in helping with them. Chauffering them to and from play dates, treating them to special dates at the movies, hikes, trips to the pool, McDonald's, sleepovers and trips to the parks. Even though the pace and structure of our life has been top-sized temporarily, they have rolled with punches better than I anticipated.

And my sweet husband. What a good man. I could brag on him forever and ever amen but won't bore you with mushy stuff. He has cared for me so tenderly, made me laugh when I wanted to cry and been such a rock holding it all together. He's a gift I don't deserve.

We modified our "Stilpstaber Camping Extravaganza" from 3 days camping at Crater Lake to the boys golfing tomorrow morning, followed by the families spending the afternoon at Haag Lake, and returning to our house to "camp" in real beds with close proximity to lots of ice, pain meds and flush toilets that are stumbling distance from the bed.

Through it all, there are lessons to be learned. In my coherent times, I've been spending time with the Lord. I have felt His nearness and His tangible touch through the care of my husband, through the meals from friends, and through the people who have blessed our family by loving on our kids. The human side of me wants to take the easy way out and be done learning lessons about humility, pain, service, and resting. However, in the grand scheme of life, when I come out on the other end of this, these few weeks will be a blip on the screen of our lives. But the lessons I'm learning about compassion, service, empathy, and the value of rest are ones I'll take with me to eternity. And who can complain about that?

No comments:

Post a Comment