Saturday, August 22, 2009

Bottomed Out

I think I bottomed out and may be on the upswing with recovery. Last night was brutal and I was done in on a physical, emotional and mental standpoint. Curt's kindness and tenderness have been such a gift to me. I have no idea how I would have made it through this ordeal without him. He is one amazing man.

We made it through a super tough night and today, overall, has been an improvement from yesterday. I think, barring any unforeseen complications, I am starting on the slow path toward recovery. We're staying on top of the pain and I'm learning how to stay awake even when I'm doped up on Vicodin. Bonus.

It dawned on Curt and I today that crutches would provide some freedom and independence for me and maybe I wasn't supposed to be bearing weight on my leg so soon after surgery. And what do you know... Right there on the discharge order, but overlooked by the nurses at the surgery center, was crutches. I'm trying not to be a grumpy pants about this oversight. I'd love to go to church tomorrow, so we're hoping to scrounge up a pair to borrow until Curt can get me some from work on Monday.

We cancelled our camping trip for next weekend and are in the process of figuring out a realistic plan to replace the old one. Fortunately our friends who we were supposed to go with are flexible and gracious which makes me feel less guilty for ruining things for 11 people.

I can't drive if I'm on pain meds so my new goal is to ween myself off those so we won't be house bound. Curt made a good point that my surgery leg is also my driving leg, so getting back behind the wheel will be more of a challenge than I originally thought.

Oh and for someone who hates to have the hiccups, I've had them a record-breaking four times (and still counting) today. All in all, I'm a bit grumpy right now, but know I have a lot to be thankful for. It's a new day tomorrow. Thanks for your prayers. We really appreciate them, can feel them and are seeing God answer them.

No comments:

Post a Comment