Friday, July 10, 2009

Knee Updates

Thanks for praying for my knee.  We have answers and a treatment plan and knowing the plan makes me feel more at ease and ready to tackle the challenge at hand.

1.  I don't have a torn meniscus and don't need surgery.
2.  I won't have to give up running over the long-term and I'm thrilled about that.
3.  All my major ligaments and tendons are in-tact and in great, healthy shape.
4.  There was a laundry list of strange stuff wrong with my knee, but the main source of my injury was cracked cartilage in my knee cap.  Since I ignored it for 5 months, it never really healed.  My body subconsciously adjusted my running gait to protect the injury site, causing other muscles and tendons to work harder in ways they aren't supposed to work.  It just kept spiraling downward until my body kind of shut me out from running.
5.  Treatment is "intense PT for 6 weeks at 2-3 times per week."  Then a follow-up visit and potentially more PT.  Doc thinks it will take "3+ months to reach a full recovery."  Good thing the Lord is teaching me how to meander.
6.  I can do any form of exercise while I'm rehabbing, including running, as long as it doesn't hurt.  Doc over-emphasized this point and said multiple times, "For every step you take that hurts, you set yourself back 3 days in rehab."  So essentially, don't be an idiot and keep ignoring pain.  He suggested learning to swim which is something I've been contemplating for a few years now, so I put my name on the list for adult swimming lessons at the local pool.  Never really learned to swim for exercise - just to not drown.   Maybe I'll be the next female Michael Phelps.  HA!

So that's the scoop.  I'm at peace with where things are at and know that taking time to get healthy will be the smartest thing for my long-term health.  Thanks for praying with me through this.  

1 comment:

  1. I hope you learn to love swimming. I never learned how to run (I'd be able to if escaping a burning building, but you know what I mean), but I could swim forever!

    Good news about not needing surgery. Won't your PT sessions feel like a mini-vacation?

    ReplyDelete