Monday, June 1, 2009

Keep Your Purpose Firm

Thanks everyone for your encouragement from my last blog.  Isn't it refreshing to know that no one is a perfect parent?  In spite of our greatest intentions, our love for our kids and our desire to live up to the iconic Parents Magazine parent, we fail.  We fail God.  We fail ourselves.  We fail our kids.  

And then we dust ourselves off.  Make it right.  Bask in forgiveness and move on.  3 steps forward.  2 steps back.  But we're doing it.  And in our effort to serve God by serving our kids, we are making our heavenly Daddy smile and say, "Well done."

Curt's time away from home was a great time of introspection for me.  God showed me clearly some areas I needed to focus on in parenting.  How do I balance that fine line between fulfilling my God-given task of instructing my kids in the way they should go vs. being a total taskmaster, nagging mom?  And since all four kids respond differently, how do I find a method of instructing each child that resonates with them but doesn't require a mental PowerPoint presentation for each child to keep it all straight?

I read with great encouragement Isaiah 26:3, "You will keep in perfect peace him whose mind is steadfast, because he trusts in You."  In the margin of my Bible, I had re-written the verse in a different translation and it read, "You Lord give perfect peace to those who keep their purpose firm and put their trust in You."  

KEEP MY PURPOSE FIRM.  The words leapt off the page.  God has a calling on my life.  A purpose for this season.  To raise our four amazing and wonderful children to be Jesus lovers and Kingdom changers.  Oh and to be respectful and hopefully a lot of fun to be around too.  If I keep my purpose firm and at the forefront of my mind, I will speak more gently.  Pray more quickly.  Love more freely.  Seek help from others and from the Holy Spirit sooner.  Kindness and gentleness will flow first instead of impatience and short-temperedness.  

Before I know it, these kids will be flying the coop and God's purpose for my life will shift.  So for this season Lord, please keep my purpose firm.  Help me trust in You.  And thank You for the peace You promise amid the storms of life.  

1 comment:

  1. You are not alone in your purpose! Such hard work, but more rewarding than anything else in the world. Keep up the amazing job that you are doing- you and Curt are raising some wonderful people. The love in your family leaps off the computer screen from all of your posts.

    ReplyDelete