Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Being Overtaken

During my time with God today I was encouraged by Isaiah 35:8, 9b-10.  It says, “And a highway will be there; it will be called the Way of Holiness.  …But only the redeemed will walk there, and the ransomed of the LORD will return.  They will enter Zion with singing; everlasting joy will crown their heads.  Gladness and joy will overtake them, and sorrow and sighing will flee away.”  

 I LOVED that last sentence: “Gladness and joy will overtake them, and sorrow and sighing will flee away.”  When was the last time I’ve been overtaken by gladness and joy?  When was the last time I can say that sorrow and sighing flew away?  As I reflected on God’s ever-present goodness in my life, even through difficult times, my eye caught a glimpse of the date in my journal.  June 16th.

 And I remembered.  One year ago, on June 16th, our kids spent the day playing with their best buddies, the Acosta’s.  While they made final memories, Curt and I supervised a fiasco called “moving” from our home in Wauconda, Illinois.  We watched all our earthly possessions and treasures get loaded onto a huge semi-truck in preparation to be driven cross-country to the rental home we’d rented sight-unseen in Newberg, Oregon.  If it could go wrong, it did. 

 When we finally joined the Acosta’s and our good friends, the Smith’s, for a sleepover and our last supper of Chicago-style pizza and s’mores around the campfire, it was approaching 8 p.m.  I wept as the Acosta’s left and we repeated the sorrowful scene the following morning with the Smith’s. 

 As we backed out of Rick and Ann’s driveway, the reality of what we were doing began it sink in.  Were we really leaving EVERYTHING familiar and following God into the great unknown?  The sorrow outweighed the anticipation.  As much fun as our 6-day road trip across the country was, we definitely did a lot of sighing as we tried to keep four kids happily occupied in their car seats for hours on end each day.

 The past year, that included Curt starting two new jobs, the kids starting two new schools, making all new friends, finding a new church and moving twice, has been exciting and exhausting to say the least.  There have been deep moments of sorrow and sighing.  But God, in His goodness, has walked each step of the journey with us.  He has whispered encouragement, direction and comfort in our ear.  And one year later, I can truthfully say that sorrow and sighing have flown away.  We have been overtaken by gladness and joy.  Thank you Lord!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment