Friday, February 20, 2009

Practice What You Preach




I was recently asked to write an article on living healthy for our local MOPS group. Not that I'm an expert in any way, but it was fun to write about our experience in this area. One of the tips I offered was embracing our self-worth as God's daughters and living to fulfill His God-given purpose for our lives instead of struggling to fit a Hollywood mold. It's something I've wasted years of angst and self-defeating thoughts on, but somehow it's easier to preach about embracing my self-worth when my Body Mass Index falls within the "healthy" range again.

Two days after I submitted the article, I stumbled upon a workout synopsis in the Oregonian highlighting a woman I had a lot in common with. She was the exact height as I was. Three years older. Four kids. Running was her exercise drug of choice. I was totally jiving with her and checking off the boxes of our similarities until they listed her weight. Oops. She's 25 pounds lighter than me. The familiar dark thoughts instantly started attacking as read on to see what I needed to do to look like "that."

The woman gets up at 4:30 every morning to work out for two hours before her kids get up. She does this SIX days a week. She's on a regimented diet that I'm guessing doesn't include chocolate, coffee or a glass of wine with her husband. And she looks FABULOUS with no sign of a spare tire as she posed in her skin-tight running bra.

As I pondered her life choices, a beautiful realization sunk in. I don't want her life. I abhor getting up early. It's all I can do to roll out of bed at 7 a.m., sip my coffee for an hour while I wake up, and stumble through the morning routine of getting the kids out the door. Running twice a week at the wonderful time of 9 a.m., fully fed and caffeinated is worth the extra effort of pushing my daughter in the stroller, and makes my stroller-free weekend runs even more inviting. I think dieting would be torture and can't imagine life without carbs and daily doses of chocolate. Plus my husband thinks I'm sexy just the way I am.

The sacrifice to meet a standard isn't worth it to me. And I actually mean that - I'm not just giving myself a pep talk. God is enabling me to practice what I preach and this daughter of The King is stoked. (And yes, I am sucking it in and using Spanx in the dress-up picture - still have some growing to do).

1 comment:

  1. I haven't known you long...but I can already tell that you are beautiful inside and out! Thanks for sharing your gift of writing with me (and MOPS!)

    ReplyDelete