Thursday, January 8, 2009

Peaceful Passing




This evening, at 6 p.m. CST, my Grandma Margie Wehler peacefully passed through the valley of the shadow of death and graduated to heaven and the waiting arms of her Savior and her husband Whitey. She was 79 years old. She will be missed by many, and although my heart is heavy with the sadness of our loss, I am rejoicing that she is no longer lonely and in pain.


My Aunt Sandi and Uncle Paul were sitting with her all day. She was comfortable and laying with her head to the side. The stroke blinded her and she hadn't seen anything in weeks. As she transitioned from this world, she turned and lifted her head, looked at the ceiling and for the first time since her stroke, truly gazed in recognition at heaven. As her head fell to the pillow, her soul drifted heavenward. I like to think that her first vision with her newly restored eyes was of Grandpa and Jesus, smiling and holding the door.


I told the kids that Grandma finally graduated to heaven and Grant said, "I bet they're dancing and throwing a big party. Only the fanciest clothes for Grandma." I can almost picture her, decked out in a fancy dress, dancing with Grandpa, fully restored bodies, and deeply in love. And the beauty of heaven is the tissue that wipes away my tears.

1 comment:

  1. Jodi, This is a beautiful post honoring your grandmother. I wish you and your family continued peace in knowing that she is with her Savior. -Heidi Boos

    ReplyDelete