Saturday, December 27, 2008

11 Years and Deep in Love




Eleven years ago, at this exact time, we were eating lasagna and salad on black plastic dishes at our wedding reception, held in a church gymnasium, and our guests were looking around for anything non-plastic that would make a "clinking"noise to get us to kiss. In retrospect, that extra dollar per plate to get china versus plasticware would have been worth it, but who's to know when you're 22, in love, and dying to get married?

On December 27th, 1997, we stood before our family and friends and exchanged these words: "I Jodi, take you, Curt, to be my wedded husband. To be the father of my children and the companion of my days. I promise before God that I will share my life with you in all love and honor, in all faith and tenderness, through joy and sorrow, in sickness and in health, to love and cherish, till death do us part. According to God's holy ordinance, I hereto pledge you my faithfulness and my love."

In eleven years, we've shared joy in abundance. We've walked through our fair share of sorrow. We've shared sickness and great seasons of health. We've loved. We've laughed. We've cried. We've had seasons of financial struggle and seasons of blessing. We've been stretched to the breaking point and lived through seasons of ease. We've walked deeply and intimately with God. We've seen God from afar, distant and remote. We've grown. We've argued. Loved deeply. Lost deeply. We've shared time as a married couple, blissfully alone and without kids. We became parents, not once, not twice, but four precious times, and have a fifth baby waiting for our embrace in heaven. We've been broken, refined, built up, and encouraged. We've walked through adventure and times of complete boredom. We've done it all together, side by side, hand in hand, for better or worse. Eleven years of doing life together and each day we fall just a little deeper in love. Happy Anniversary my sweet Curt.

No comments:

Post a Comment