Tuesday, November 4, 2008

If My People











Tonight the citizens of the United States of America elected a new president - Barack Obama, the first African American to be elected as President. Stereo-types, barriers and glass ceilings came crashing down, and I am proud to live in a country where my voice can be heard and where my opinion matters, even when I don't always get my way. I am proud to be an American.




Tonight's election sent me into a deep state of reflecting and I've been pondering the implications of what we, as American citizens, just did. I think our country took a giant step forward in eradicating racism today, but I'm also worried about the morals of the candidate we chose and if his morals are a true reflection of the people of the United States. Have Americans been blinded by Barack's charisma, his clear leadership skills, by his magnetic personality, and his ideals that we failed to dig a bit deeper? And the same could be said of John McCain, a decorated soldier, prisoner of war, valiant and courageous servant of our country. What does he stand for? Where does he draw his strength?


I'm not advocating for one candidate over another because I know God is in control. But my heart breaks for the country I love as I watch it disintegrate before my eyes. Corruption at the highest levels, great wealth and great poverty, two wars, a sense of entitlement, the sanctity of life and marriage hanging in the balance, people devoid of any purpose or meaning in life, spending more than their means. We live in a country that in its infancy was based on God, whom we trust, and is now filled with empty people who are spiritually and morally bankrupt.

All day today I prayed for God's will to be done -for His people to rise up and be counted. To voice their opinion at the polls and for a willingness on God's part to continue to impart grace and mercy to our country that is so undeserving. The Holy Spirit drew me back again and again to II Chronicle 7:14, "if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land."

LORD God, Almighty One, God above all Gods, thank You that I am called by Your name. That I am marked as your daughter and stained by Jesus' blood. I ask and pray that You will hear my cry and forgive my sin. I ask You to help me turn from my wicked ways. Please, pour out Your forgiveness and healing on this beautiful country that I call home. Grant us mercy. Be patient. Turn us from our wicked ways and God, please heal our broken land. And, God, in spite of our brokenness, will You please bless America?

No comments:

Post a Comment