Sunday, November 16, 2008

Happy Birthday







I celebrated my 34th birthday this week. My husband brought me flowers the night before and woke me with a kiss as he left for work. It was a gray, sunless, rainy day and it rained steadily all day long, but it was a calming and somehow enjoyable rain.


I came downstairs to find birthday cards and presents that the kids were dying for me to open. My phone started ringing and I had the joy of receiving "Happy Birthday" phone calls all day from friends and family. At the bus stop, my friend and neighbor invited me in for a cup of birthday coffee and a nice gift. I had the chance to volunteer in Grant's classroom and then headed out to pick up Alli from school.


In our house we have a rule that on your birthday, it's "anything you want" day, within reason. I decided I didn't want to make lunch, so Alli, Paige, and Oliver (their 2 year old friend) took us "out to lunch," with just a little help from Kelly and I. We pigged out on yummy comfort breakfast food and then came home for happy nappy. I took a nap, even though I wasn't tired, because it just sounded so inviting on a rainy day.


After school, we headed out to my Mom and Terry's house for a joint birthday supper for Terry and I of chicken on the grill (even though it was pouring rain), cheesy potatoes, cranberries, rolls and home-made chocolate mint angel food delight! We headed home with full bellies and content hearts, tucked the kids into bed, and shared some wine and conversation before turning in for the night. It was a great day.

At lunch, my friend Kelly asked me, "When was the last time you celebrated your birthday in Oregon?" As I thought about it, I realized that I was a senior in high school the last time I celebrated my birthday with my family in Oregon - 17 years ago! I'm so glad to be home.

No comments:

Post a Comment